Starcrack AI 7.0 vs Battle.net
submit to reddit

Page 1
  • I've been messing around on a Beta launcher for about two weeks (straight) now, and investing a lot of time getting insight from some spectacular replays. It took me a bit to get the hang of the new adjustments from the original game, of course, but I've been doing pretty well with Protoss, which has always been my favorite race.

Recently, a friend of mine let me at her beta account, and to my surprise, I was performing far better on the actual Battle.net beta than I've been doing vs. Starcrack 7.0. Some opponents were just plain foolish, but my efficiency with each unit skyrocketed when I could counter an actual, sentient player's tech build.

Personally, with Starcrack, I hardly get a chance to explore any interesting builds or counters and have to resort to tier by tier mass building. Even 7.0 has blatent patterns.

Has anyone else had a chance with both the hacked, and the real, Beta? And if so, thoughts?

• Wow, that's definitely not what i would have expected!
    I thought the level on battlenet would be much higher than the AI.

Private
    Battle.net
    Name:
    NoobiZ.noobiz
    Realm:
    EU Beta
  • My experience on Battle.net has been different than most it seems, I've had an account for 4 or so days now. I used to steamroll the AI with absolute precision. Battle.net is a totally different story, my W/L ratio is above 1.5 so far, but I'm being challenged to my limits.

It's much, much more fun than the AI :)

• TurdburglerMy experience on Battle.net has been different than most it seems, I've had an account for 4 or so days now. I used to steamroll the AI with absolute precision. Battle.net is a totally different story, my W/L ratio is above 1.5 so far, but I'm being challenged to my limits.

It's much, much more fun than the AI :)

The good of you winning the contest over here. You can experience getting your ass kicked on batte.net and improve the AI to match it ;)

Have feedback about Nibbits.com? Let me know!
    Addict
    Battle.net
    Name:
    zeeg.227
    Realm:
    North America
  • I have not played the starcrack ai but the bnet skill in ladder varies alot ..
    I do some arranged team with a old wow friend he is really bad and we got placed in copper .. I can win some games 1v2 with his help.. my other arranged teams are plat/gold and it is 1000% harder.

Battle.net
    Name:
    Cronos.cronos
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • I can't wait until the reset, I hope they fix the bloody ladders, they're shot to hell at the moment, you're playing people from the full spectrum of ladders and copper/bronze players often outplay plat/gold players.

• I think the rest is happening right now:)

Battle.net
    Name:
    Cronos.cronos
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • Well, I havent played vs real human beings yet because I'm not in beta... And Im sick of those AIs. Here is my 2 cents on AI:

AI 6.1.1: Standard - Im trying to do what I see players use vs certain race, so that I train these strats. Instead, since im using ground as training the way players do, the Standard owns me cause all it knows is to mass zerglings and roaches, mass vikings with battlecruisers... However, if I decide to not train player strategies and go mass Air, Im terran, the AI doesnt stand a chance... So mass air - and AI cant beat me.

AI 6.1.1. Cheating. Completetly useless as, the only way to beat him is rush him fast. Should you let him make huge armies - gg.

Do you know with the new Valkyr Launcher what difficulty corresponds to what from 6.1.1? I tried vs Insane, Very Hard and hard - they looked to me like cheating AI.

Anyway, the way you play vs AI is completely different from the way you play vs players so i wouldnt call it training ...

Corporal
  • I've been playing battle.net for awhile, more so with 2v2 then 1v1.
    Before then I played the Ai for weeks on end practicing while waiting for an invite.

With the Ai I never had to really scout since I knew what it was going to create depending on it's race and counter accordingly.

On Bnet however, the enemy is more unpredictable with many potential builds, so it takes more effort to be one step ahead of your opponent.

Battle.net
    Name:
    Yucie
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • yea bnet is better for sure

Colonel
  • AIs are lame, they are programmed to mass the basic unit - zealot/zergling/marine. AI 6.1.1 non cheating was fine but too easy-you had to always go air and you always win. Should you try making some ground in late game - gg.

Playing vs AI that gets x2 resources is pointless. It's not a training for 'vs players'. Dont feel bad if you lose frm AI, it's not real playing vs gaining 2x resources and massing units so fast.. trust me - playing vs players is completely different, as if you play for the 1st time. The AI thing is only to learn your units. And I play vs AI cause im not in beta but already sick of AI a lot, cause it's not real games..

Corporal
  • if u are doin better on bnet its probably because u are in copper league =]

Private
  • I'm a rank #1 gold player on bnet and while I find bnet games for challenging and exciting, there really isn't much of a difference compared to the AI. I think it's just the fact that the game is ranked and I'm playing against a human that makes it feel that bit more fun/exciting.

• I wanna play online :(

But I thank turd that I can play at all :)

Lieutenant
    Battle.net
    Name:
    FromUndaChz
    Realm:
    North America
  • Is there a general scale between APM and ranking on bnet?

Battle.net
    Name:
    art.nis
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • artanisIs there a general scale between APM and ranking on bnet?

I don't think so... people like to talk about APM but I think it's overrated. While typically better players will have higher APM, it is not indicative of skill. Lots of players spam commands (esp. in first 2-3 mins) and increase their APM without accomplishing anything useful.
    I think the trick is you always want to be doing something and making sure not to ignore anything (empty queues, idle larvae/drones, resources accumulating, supply limit, units while moving through potentially hostile areas, etc.).
    I think it is a useful statistic, but gets overemphasized; someone with no knowledge and high APM would likely lose to a knowledgeable player with some reasonable level of APM (~60+?).
    That said, I would guess most gold/plat players average over 100 APM fairly easily...

Private
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Donk.859
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • APM also goes alot farther in sc2

for example, if you max out at 100 apm, but its consistent, you will be getting more done in sc2 than you did in bw

Private
  • Better players have higher APM. It's not that having a good APM causes you to be better, it's more that as you play and get better at macro/micro your APM increases. I've been playing for almost 9 hours straight today and I've gone from about 70 to 90 apm and my macro is much much better, it comes very naturally now.

• ^exactly, that's the thing about APM

Corporal
  • Wow, this AI(hard) 7.02 it's strongher than previous one... i usually win vs previous AI (immediate build of natural exp and immediate conterAttack in tier 2), but im no more able to win (against protoss)... o). Anyway its really enjoying cause when u counterAttack, u find a new army that is waiting you and only a good micro (and some luck) can make u win! thx turd... have fun!

• I dont AI's so silly to me even 7.02. IM terran and I land on an island to be not bothered, where I skowly kill him while he doesnt rebuild the few expands he makes

Corporal
  • @DrCometh: You'd never get away with something like that on Battle.net. So if you're looking for a challenge why are you blaming the AI when you are the one who insists on flying to an island?

Corporal
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Realm:
    North America
  • Going into an island it's not a solution, its a trick to bypass the limit of AI... anyway i noted that i've problem only with the protoss AI, i easily win against terran and zerg. Maybe it happened cause they create almost the same number of unit, but at even number the protoss unit are strogher... For people who havn't get a key ( me.. sigh), this AI its really exciting!

• I know, I would never use it for bnet players. The AI is just silly and sends overloards loaded with units right into my turrets :) Then when he finishes his resources I kill him as I want.

I just played vs AI 7.2 insane and it looks like gaining x3 times resources... the island got captured eventually and the AI was massing and massing. I mean, that's so unreal playing vs x3 resources. That's why im blaming the AI, cause it makes you play a specific way to own him, when I get the opportunity to play vs players it will be like as if h've never played SC2... Im just tired of AIs but i understand they serve well for those not in beta..

Corporal
  • DrComethI dont AI's so silly to me even 7.02. IM terran and I land on an island to be not bothered, where I skowly kill him while he doesnt rebuild the few expands he makes

7.02 AI is decent.
    On the allinone 7.73 beta loader it only goes up to hard mode. I tried another loader that uses 7.0 AI and it has hard, harder and insane difficulty. Wonder why since they both use the same starcrack AI system.

Play Teren Vs Teren on a small map like blithering sands. You won't win easy.

Now medium mode is a joke and way too easy. Huge difference between medium and hard mode.

Have to try harder and insane to see if they are more difficult.

Anonymous
    98.209.57.xxx
Page 1

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: