personal list of favorite maps & rank of "favorite" maps
submit to reddit

• I think we should be able to make a list of our favorite maps when we reach a certain level, like level 5.

And then there should be a ranking of maps that are most frequently found in that personal list.

This should solve 2 issues. First, maps regardless of quality will go down in popularity ranks based on # of downloads because people get bored of them or because people already have them. Also, even rank by rating is not so accurate because you're limited to only 5 stars which makes ur rating an arbitrary estimate, and it is at-the-moment kinda thing and not really a careful assessment.

Second, people seem to have maps that they particularly liked but they forget about them etc, and maybe they might want to recommend it to a friend later when the topic arises. A personal list of favorite maps would be a useful reference.

People have different tastes, so it'd be more useful for me to look up a list of favorite maps by someone who enjoy similar types of games that I like.

P.S. Also it'd be nice if the maximum # of favorite maps in the list would increase according to our level.

For example, at level 5, you might be allowed 10 favorite maps; at level 10 u might be allowed 30 favorite maps.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    AsukaLF
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • I like the idea of using favorites to also increase rankings. However, limiting them based on level I'm not so sure about.

Here's what I think I'll propose is a two-step approach here:

1) We add in favorites. This means you can mark a map or project as a favorite, and be notified of when it's updated (via email).

2) We add in some kind of level-based award system. This means that you would gain N amount of tokens (or something) that you could give to maps. Each level you'd get more, which means you could give more out. These tokens would directly affect the ranking of a map, much more so than ratings, or even possibly downloads.

What do you think?

Have feedback about Nibbits.com? Let me know!
    Addict
    Battle.net
    Name:
    zeeg.227
    Realm:
    North America
  • 1) yes. but in addition, notify through some Nibbits account page. do both, but if you had to pick between the two, this is more useful.

2) no. the more i think about it, the more it seems that a better solution to the rating-credibility problem is just finding a way to get more people to vote. we have a lot of very good maps that have only one or two ratings, and the maps i've seen with several (5+ ratings) have generally been accurate.

btw that token system, as well as something similar i sent you earlier (more rating impact for more experienced members), is really going to make it difficult for a good new map by a relatively unknown author to get the ranking it deserves.

Major
  • I don't think that the 5 star rating system is all that great. As I said, people tend to rate things very arbitrarily without too much consideration. You might find a map to be pretty good at first, but would you go back and change your ratings if you were to find serious flaws or rigs after playing it a while? The fact that you don't find the map to be good anymore and you've lost interest in the map means that you won't bother to go to its page to change your rating.

What the favorites list does is to make people to evaluate individual maps in relation to all the other maps and be more selective rather than just giving 4 or 5 star estimates.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    AsukaLF
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • Well I would say definitely favorites is another stat that can be used to tweak the ranking algorithm.

As of right now, popular is a mix of all of our statistics, in the end I would LOVE to see it to based based on something like this:

- age (newer should be able to rank easier)
    - rating
    - downloads (recently, not overall)
    - times hosted (we cant count this, yet)
    - number of favorites
    - number of comments

Addict
    Battle.net
    Name:
    zeeg.227
    Realm:
    North America
  • Lol, for your last suggestion, I'd say that maps with most problems will get most comments & therefore higher ratings.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    AsukaLF
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • dokebiLol, for your last suggestion, I'd say that maps with most problems will get most comments & therefore higher ratings.

That is true, in some cases, but the comments would definitely not be weighted to highly in the algorithm.

The way it works is we say "this rank (downloads daily) counts for % of the overall rank". Right now the date it was submitted is counted, but not very highly, for example.

Addict
    Battle.net
    Name:
    zeeg.227
    Realm:
    North America

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: