If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

You are replying to:

• OK, so I've been taking a closer look at the Cache files and I've not been able to figure out how they work exactly. I have figured out what some of the files actually are or appear to be.

I've never done something like this before, so forgive me if some of this post is n00b :)

.s2mv
    After opening this file in HEX editor I saw "DDS". After I downloaded a DDS plugin for photoshop and I renamed the file from .s2mv to .DDS I could open it in photoshop.
    Basically the .s2mv is the map preview in the map menu.

.s2ql
    Not really sure what this is for. It looks like a list of available settings, but editing them made no change in game. You can open it in any text editor as it's pretty much a normal .xml file. There seems to be copies of the same file, but in different languages.

.s2ml
    Again, I'm not 100% sure what these file are for. I think they have something to do with the descriptions of the maps in game, but even after I edited them I could not find a difference in game. They are also just xml and there are copies of the same file, but in different languages.

.s2ma
    This is the actual map which you can open in a MPG editor.

.s2mi and .s2mh
    I have not been able to figure out what these files are for. I think they might be the key to getting custom maps into the Cache without having to publish and then download a map, but I've been unable to open them in such a way that I could read it.

.xml
    This is a file that I missed while I was working on the others. So I've not had the opportunity to edit some of the data inside to see what changes it may bring in game. It looks like the settings that are available for a map, but there's only a few of these files.

Directory structure
    I've not been able to find a pattern in the structure. I've been wondering if the folder names aren't actually hexadecimal values as all the chars used in the folder names use chars from 0-9 and a-f. I'm no expert though and I might be completely wrong here.

I've also not been able to figure out exactly how the game knows what to read and what not. There is a index file (No extension) which is created by the game itself, but it would sometimes list files that I cannot find. Weird.

I did all this with the idea of possibly replacing an existing map with a custom map, but replacing the .s2ma file with the custom map file doesn't work even after I tried to make the game think it is the real thing. When you select the replaced map in game, the game wants to download from bnet.

So this is how fa I am right now. I'm sure some (or a lot) of people already knows what I just posted, but I thought I'd share in any case. I'll be quite busy this weekend, but I'll dig some more if I get a chance.

My biggest issue is that I cannot figure out how to read the .s2mi and .s2mh files. Maybe someone here knows more???

Regards

Support Nibbits by linking to us: