If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

You are replying to:

• The first thing you should do is check your AIDifficulty.galaxy file. You can find it in the SC2ALLIN1 directory:

C:\Program Files\StarCraft II Beta\SC2ALLin1\ai\scai

Should be the default. Open AIDifficulty.galaxy in notepad and look at what it says. There should be a few lines, I guess it depends on the version and difficulty etc but there are 3 entries that should be in there no matter what, I think the newer ones have more variables.

const int c_difficulty = a number;
    const int c_mineralBonus = a number;
    const string c_maphack = "boolean (true/false)";

I think there are 3 difficulty levels, 0, 1, and 2 where the lower number is HARDER. You want yours on 2. Mineral bonus you want at 0, if it's 1 the computer is getting double your resources. Then for the maphack setting you want as false.

----------------------------------------------------

If these things are all correct, there's nothing wrong with the ai and you're really just having difficulty with the easy setting then I suggest a few things:

Building workers: Are you saturating your mineral nodes or do you stop building workers too early? When I started playing the game I was under-saturating my minerals, not mining enough, and as a result it seemed impossible to keep up with the computer. A field of 8 minerals is fully saturated at 21 workers + 6 for 2 vespene guysers. You should continue building workers even past the saturation point so you can expand, but if you're under this number you're not getting your full mining rate even off of 1 base.

scouting/harassing: Seeing where the opponent is at and delaying economy are important in general. A little problem I found with the Terran AI is that you can attack their SCVs while they're building and they won't send another SCV to fight back, they will actually send an SCV to try to repair the other SCV instead. So you can actually target the SCV making a barracks and kill 2-3 of them before the computer can even finish making the building. Big-time helpful for dealing with Terran.

Trick the AI: It's retarded. If you go straight for a stalker and let a terran computer see it, it will build NOTHING but marines, then you can block your ramp, get zealot leg speed, and build nothing but zealots for a hard counter. Show the computer a unit and it will basically build nothing but the counter for that unit.

Cloaking: The AI is horrible at dealing with cloak. Terran will almost never get a Raven, protoss take 5 hours to get an observer, same with zerg getting overseers. Even if Terran has scan you can just send the cloaked units to 2 different parts of the base and you auto-win pretty much.

Forcefields: Sounds like you're protoss. Abuse Forcefields. The computer is really stupid. If it orders 15 marines to attack your base, those marines will continue trying to attack until they receive a new order or they die. If you throw a forcefield at the bottom of your ramp the units will just try to walk through it, at which point you can sit a ranged unit on the top of the cliff and kill them infinitely because they can't see the top. If you get 4-5 sentries out and 2-3 stalkers you can kill an infinitely large ground force by forcefielding and sniping with a couple ranged units.

-------------------------------------------------

SHORTER VERSION LOL:

I started off in the same situation as you really. I was playing the easy computer and getting annihilated. I found out that the AI wasn't booting correctly and I was actually playing the insane cheating AI. Even after I fixed that I was getting stomped and I realized it was because I wasn't saturating my minerals enough. Check the AIdifficulty file and make sure it's all correct. If it is working properly, just make adjustments to your game.

At this point I can defeat 3 hard Terran computers in a 1v3. (I keep referring to Terran because they're clearly the hardest race to beat, so I've been playing 1v3s against 3 Terran comps and 3 randoms occasionally.)

Support Nibbits by linking to us: