SC2 Like/Dislike vs. SC1
submit to reddit

Page 1
  • One thing I dislike about SC2 vs. SC1 is I feel that Terran looks a little too Command & Conquerish/Warhammerish. For instance, the marauder and reaper both seem like caricatures. I don't like how blizzard made these units have oversized body addons, along with the glowing slanted eyes. I also liked the ghost from SC1 more. In SC2 the ghost has HUGE sniper rifle, with a similarly caricatured body. I'm pretty sure the hellion actually IS a command and conquer unit. In SC2, terran unit design seems to be lean more towards novelty than in SC1, which I feel has made terran look less science-fiction based and more cartooned like warhammer.

Well there's too many things I really like about SC2, heres one for each race:
    I love the new macro tools for every race:

Toss - WARPGATES are sweet. Very cool new game factor. I also really like the tech tree for Toss (Observers in particular), including the unique unit upgrades.

Zerg - Moving while burrowed. This was something I always dreamed about in SC1. I am glad they made it a reality in SC2.

Terran - There's actually ALOT I like about terran in SC2 vs SC1. In SC1, I thought terran was the most boring race. It was always m&m or mech. One thing I really like in SC2 is the new air units, all of which are much better than their SC counterparts (except maybe the nighthawk or whatever. I miss irradiate.)

WHATS YOURS!

Private
  • OH and selecting more than 12 units per group. Perhaps my favorite new thing in SC2.

Private
  • YES, more than 12 units being selectable was my favorite feature, none of those alt1-0 bindings and having to send out orders 10 times! I am not sure what the max is because I got up to like 48 units in one group, but I don't really know if you need more than that to kill someone. Heck, after 48 high supply cost units you've probably already maxed out anyways... oh well time to kill the workers!! lol.

SC1 seemed more like you said: I'm on a new foreign planet that is vast and lonely. I am gritty and down right mean. Best part? THE GIBS, body parts and blood at every death. even the tileset with store sign doodads had wrecked store signs that looked like the place had been demolished and was now desolate.

SC2: every map seems like it has already been inhabited. especially those city tiles where the areas with no traversable terrain has what looks to be city buildings at a lower level down below. it's an interesting twist on the scenery, but i feel more like i'm just playing a game of soccer because well i can always call it quits and go shopping at the mall down below me lol.

SC2 does seem more cartoonish. What is it with what seems to be since directX10/late DX9 games where the makers think: THE SHINIER THE MODELS... THE MORE REALISTIC THEY LOOK! No... they just look like someone painted them with clear nail polish. Either way... if you have read the article on how to add units into the map... speaking of GIBS earlier :D, add in a marine and change the scale to 10,10,10 so he's 10 times larger, fkn awesome... its like a marine the size of 100 command centers. Well, in his small size it's difficult to distinguish, but larger you can see when the marines die their body splits apart and theres like a leg and an arm, and best of all only half of his face is left in a fragment laying in a pool of blood lol. so yea the better detailed models add for some interesting effects.

HOWEVER, the detailed 3-d models make it a bit difficult to focus/distinguish what exactly is happening when a large mass of units are all doing different things at once.

oh well i'll shut up. hope to hear from the others on the forum on what they like/dislike :)

Private
    Battle.net
    Name:
    offline loaders
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • 255 Units max.
    But I love the shift commands.

Finally I can build many things and issue move orders without having to keep checking on the unit

Battle.net
    Name:
    Yucie
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • I like the game mechanics and unit AI in SC2, it's much more fluid and easyer to manage than in SC1.

I don't like the cartoonish style of SC2, SC1 looked much meaner.

I find it funny, but I actually don't like the 3d view in SC2, you can't see the units as clearly as in 2d. I played a few games of SC1 and WC2 recently, and the top-down view was much more enjoyable and easy to manage than 3d side view.

Private
  • I like how the terran theme sometimes sounds like fricken Riverdance.

• I love how the ralay points in WOL are so much more intelligent. But it would be nice if F1 would select all idle workers instead of just one, that would really help the split. Maybe a mod for this? :P

I dislike everything about the new zerg. :P Zerg was my main race in BW but now I just can't figure them out, so I switched to terran. It's boring to have the same race anyway.

Anonymous
    83.93.254.xxx
  • Haha well put Santa. Zerg was my top race in BW, but I find myself most irritated with zerg now and do not like playing them. I'm probably just frustrated that I used to be decent with zerg but now its totally different and i suck.

Private
  • Another thing I hope blizzard changes in SC2: What happened to the individual weapon illustrations for each unit? Of course its a little thing, but I always thought it was cool to see the little gatling gun for the rine's gauss rifle or the spikes for the lurker. Now all of the race units have exactly the same weapon miniportrait, and its not even cool, especially protoss.

There are tons of little new doodads in SC2 so why did they get rid of the weapon miniportraits in unit stats?

Private
  • NICK88, well put, well put. I completely agree with your comments on tileset and feel. Starcraft1 is definitely more raw than SC2. I guess it was inevitable that SC2 would look more cartooned like WC3. But I always enjoyed how SC1 looked and felt raw. Even with the special color maps that had colors like neon metallic hot pink and glowing green, the units still looked more real and badass than in SC2. The fact that many of the terran voices are rather stupid or goofy doesnt help the glamorous new feel of SC2, im looking at you marauder, thor, ghost. Ghost used to be my favorite terran voice, now its lame.

Private
  • i like the starcraft 2 grapichs alot more than starcraft 1 graphichs.. its a bit cartonish but i like that! i have played few games in starcraft 2 but got bored faster than when i was first playing starcraft 1 maybe just bechause i dont play online! AI for now is stupid and cheating :D and i want a chalenging game and a fair game

Corporal
  • jhig: Haha, yes the voices are much less mature as if blizzard is trying to target their marketing towards 8-10 year olds. What happened to Kerrigan giving Jim Raynor/You reprimands for (what is suggestive of) you imagining what she looks like naked!? The only unit that still has the same voice clips that I have noticed is the Archon. Oh, and I like how the dark templar either come out of the gateway looking like a zealot with a green blade OR they can come out wielding what looks like a double edged scythe!

Thor does have some lame voice, but it still puts goliath to shame. Especially its special ability where the guns on its shoulder barrage the targeted unit. Too cool!

***P.S. Is there like a disco party going on in Thor's cockpit!? Why are there circulating colors of lights in his cockpit that mimic the rainbow!? I'm waiting for Amy Whinehouse to hop out of his cockpit from like a five day disco party crack binge.

Private
    Battle.net
    Name:
    offline loaders
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • i think sc2 is better at gameplay and it seems to me more balanced

• I loved SC1. I like SC2. After 12 years, this is it? What have they been doing the last few years, playing with this or themselves? It's not much more playability than SC1, Warhammer, C&C. Different units, different individual capabilities, but any other game has that.

Seriously not impressed

Anonymous
    71.126.83.xxx
  • smorkle what exactly did you expect? Bare in mind that it's a beta, the campaign is supposed to be awesomeness, and the ladder awards system thingy is going to make alot of entertaining competition. Also, real starcraft fans would be happy with the story alone.

Anonymous
    83.93.254.xxx
  • i really dont hate or dislike anything in the new sc2. the one thing i love the most is the ability to transform the warp gate so u can make units in like 5 seconds with a not so long cooldown. get that with a warp prism and you have awesomeness. Teleporting units wherever the hell you go is sick. Just dont let the warp prism die >.>

• o yea and in Sc1 i hated how the ghosts had lockdown. that move was so damn annoying to toss and to terran.

• SC2 is easer to play than SC1, and this is the best in this game.

Private
  • Not sure what david meant. This is the best in the game?

Private
  • He thinks the best thing about SC II is that it's easier to play than SC I?

I happen to think it's the worst thing about it :(

Lieutenant
  • I like the graphics better, but that's a given :p

I kinda miss doing reaver drops.

Private
  • I think that worst thing in sc2 is dark templar. He completly useless in sc2. In sc dark templar rush can destroy terran base or toss base.

• the reason why i didn't like wc3 was cuz of the warhammerish style u just described.

Even though Sc is more than 10 yrs old I still like it cuz of its clean cut, sleak futuristic scifi looks.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    AsukaLF
    Realm:
    US Beta
  • I don't really like the graphics they use now, just like everyone else, but I DO like how much more the engine is capable of than it's predecessor. It is capable of soooo much I have been dreaming of doing since playing starcraft when it first came out. I can't wait to make a hybrid first person/rts multiplayer map. That is my dream for the Starcraft Galaxy editor. I can't wait to modify every unit in the entire game, just like I do with the original, but better, and easier! Starcraft 2 may not be the best, but following the best game of all time (starcraft 1) is pretty hard to do, and if the story is any good, it will be a great game when it finally comes out in 3054...That's my predicted date of release by the way...3054 in april...

Anonymous
    76.176.168.xxx
  • I would definitely like to see more than 200units. I feel this cap could just be slightly increased. say even 250

Page 1

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: