Bug report and suggestion to improve AI
submit to reddit

• Thx, that will be fix in next version

To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult.
    GT Creator
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Ptanhkhoa
    Realm:
    Europe
  • @ptanhkhoa
    I played a TvP (hard) once against commander Khan. He let his minerals reach up to 1500+, making nothing but zealots and didn't make a cybernetics core until he had about a dozen zealots. Anyone else notice this?

Also, it might be nice if the AI actively tried to take control of significant watchtowers too, even if he already has vision of the entire map. I'm suggesting this because sometimes, I leave a worker at a watchtower, and that worker could stay alive an entire game without me having to worry. If the AI tried to control watchtowers, it would be more challenging for the player to have surveillance on key areas.

• @Kronos : thank you for your feed back, as you report the Khanh commander missied one build though . Just fixed it.

About watchtower, it is very good idea , i will see what we can make ai patrol watch tower in the next version ^^.

GT Creator
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Ptanhkhoa
    Realm:
    Europe
  • Firstly, Trà Xanh is a great AI and I was very impressed with the way it managed resources and it's expansions.

I have been testing your Protoss script a lot to find that for some reason, the Protoss commander stops functioning after around 7 minutes. This doesn't happen everytime however. To try to figure out what the problem was I chose the Easy difficulty to view the commanders at the start of the game. In one match Son, was very aggressive and used up all resources accordingly. But in another match, Son, was idle and was doing nothing after about 7 minutes.

I think the problem must have something to do with when your Protoss AI decides to change to another commander mid-game. In another match I had the same problem with Hai and Nguyen becoming idle and hoarding 2000 minirals doing nothing but then Duy didn't have this bug in that same match.

I did test one match with Zerg's only and it happened to one of the Zerg commanders too.

So far, I haven't encountered this bug at all with the Terran race. It's perfect :D

When the AI does work properly, it is really really good and I'm glad that you've shared it with us for our enjoyment.

FYI: I'm running GT 0.51 with sc2ALLin1 (v10.3.3) and it work's fine except for the idle bug on some of the commanders.

Battle.net
    Name:
    Namechangerofthe4ever
    Realm:
    Southeast Asia & ANZ
  • That's may happen ^^, actually i make many commander and didn't had time to test throughly when transition. :P, i will correct some bug in next version, hope you can test it as well.

GT Creator
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Ptanhkhoa
    Realm:
    Europe
  • Okay I've done some more testing on the Protoss commanders. I am certain now it's not when the commanders change to a different commander that the bug happens. I removed the coding that let's the commanders change so that I can narrow it down to which commanders were the problem.

Basically, the idle bug happens to commanders Hai, Nguyen, and Son. The other's are really good and play really well. Hope the feedback helps.

Battle.net
    Name:
    Namechangerofthe4ever
    Realm:
    Southeast Asia & ANZ
  • does this happen sometimes after 7 min? cus i know that right know all i have to do is outlast the AI and they will like stop playing.

its like they dont know what to do with lots of resources, and targets, also there must be more than 3 or 4 bots. (makes lots of units but will not send them against one target)

i had no problem with this in other versions, theyd go after a single target till it was dead. lol :) (usually a problem for me cus it wouldent let up, and im not that good a player anyway.)

Corporal
  • The commanders change personality after they lose a few battles apparently so if they happen to change to a commander that happens to be the one that idles after 7 minutes, then that explains why they stop playing.

I only notice it happens after 7 minutes because I view the resources bank of each commander while letting 8 AI battle each other FFA.

When I get more time, I will test each commander individually by removing the random commander selection and watch 8 AI FFA matches using one commander at a time. It's the only way to specifically narrow down which commanders are weaker or stronger.

I'm only testing the Protoss atm since the idling problem occurs more with them than the other two races.

Battle.net
    Name:
    Namechangerofthe4ever
    Realm:
    Southeast Asia & ANZ
  • The Zerg AI needs the most improvements. Problems such as high priority in attacking debris, creep tumor spam which ended up with walls full of them, and very weak early game/progression across all Zerg commanders. Terran seems to be the best AI of all the races right now.

Why set c_diffNormalVision to false? I never liked the idea of the AI always knowing where you are and reacting to what you build instead of first seeing the enemy units. With it on they are also more aggressive which to me is positive thing as most commanders just like to turtle.

AI needs to switch their tactics on the fly better so they can effectively counter units.

• @tangasm yea the protoss players stopped. the zerg guy didnt know what to do, and the terran player died in the beginning.

so thx that answered why they were doing that. :)

ill wait for an upgrade, till then i will just have to put up with it. :)

thx again

Corporal
  • Just wanted to say thank you to ptanhkhoa for all your work on this. I bought Starcraft II expecting blizzard AI to be a challenge, but it's just so lame. They rarely ever vary strategy, and they generally have a VERY poor micro.

I was supremely disappointed with this because my internet is very, very slow; which means I can't play online to circumvent this fault.

So in all seriousness, you are my only hope. I almost returned this game until I saw your mod.

So keep up the good work! You are saving lives here! :D

Anonymous
    67.160.137.xxx
  • First of all, Id like to say that this is a great AI mod. However, there still are a few things Ive noticed by running a computer-only game in the launcher.

Terran AI still seems to be the most effective at this point. In an FFA match, the last one standing always seemed to be terran.

The map I tested on was a clone of big game hunters, so there were plenty of resources. Sometimes, the AI managed resources very poorly, or seemed idle, mostly protoss and zerg. At one point, a protoss AI had over 5000 minerals.

Building placement is really hit-and-miss, but I think much of that is coded into the engine itself and would be difficult to change (as it was in starcraft 1). It places buildings better on some maps than others.

Corporal
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Not telling
    Realm:
    North America
  • ^ Sorry, it just work on Blizzard offcial maps :P, since these map define the expand point for AI. If some how it stuck on expand, it won't finish their order and so can complete build.

GT Creator
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Ptanhkhoa
    Realm:
    Europe
  • It doesnt seem to have problems with expanding, as I always use this AI on custom maps, and it finds expansion points perfectly fine without map markers (it probably just detects where resources are). The problem is that some of the commanders dont manage resources efficiently. They leave large amounts of minerals unused when they could be spending them on more units. It could be that idle after 7 minutes problem that someone posted about earlier.

On another note, when the AI's base is attacked, it likes to make its workers pace back and forth rapidly. This bumps APM up a lot and doesnt really have any benefit. It would be smarter to either fight or flee, rather than pace back and forth in front of the minerals.

Overall, I think the AI is coming along well, and Im looking forward to future updates.

Corporal
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Not telling
    Realm:
    North America
  • me two 다운 ㅋ

Anonymous
    58.141.15.xxx
  • i only started using this AI yesterday. pretty neat AI, great really.

i just noticed this: i played a 3vs3 PvZ last night, all the Zergs didn't even do a preemptive attack. it's as if they were turtling but when i finally attacked their base (i was turtling too, waiting for them to attack), their number isn't that huge. So we pretty much overwhelmed them the moment we attacked. :]

• Hi! I found a little problem with the ai. This problem when i exp in an island, the AI wont attack it, no harass no any attack, no single AA turret is need. If the map got island, the player got a free exp against the AI. Implement to attack/harass island exp. :D

Anonymous
    87.97.123.xxx
  • seems like the zerg ai doesnt get enough drones on any difficulty

• Sorry to disappoint, but in the early game AI is quite bad :)

I use the latest 0.56 version.

Zerg is particularly affected.

T3H bugz

1. It quite so often chooses early expansion instead of attack, which doesn't really work well on 1v1 maps (when you know where the enemy was placed)

2. even if you put some units at the gates :P but allow an expansion to happen, a really retarded behaviour is demonstrated. After a new expansion is made the AI spawns a queen and sends to the expansion (this behaviour seems to be hardcoded btw). Outside the creep it moves so slowly so it is nullified by several marines in no time (and AI by that time already knows I'm at the gates!)
    3. Whats even moar funny, AI justifying its name (Artificial Idiot) spawns several drones and sends them to the expansion to be slaughtered by already previously discovered marines.
    4. Even though enemy already is known to be active at the gates, that idiotic Aidiot :) doesn't even spawn some zergs or builds defence. Well actually, it almost never builds ground defence at the main base whatsoever, especially in the early to mid game.

I totally second others opinion and even more, I'd say if the initial location of the Zerg AI is known, on a small map it is good as dead. Totally rubbish against early attacks.

Anonymous
    87.194.188.xxx
  • I've tried to go with the 0.56 insane in all my 4v4 and 3v3 games, all AI players except me. The one thing I've got was, it was impossible to hold on the several early attack waves if all the opponents were Protoss, i.e. any combination vs all Protoss, unless all the players included I myself were Protoss... :(
    I think the Protoss AI were made too distinct. May be it's because Protoss units were overpowerful?

Anonymous
    180.94.179.xxx
  • Okay I've observed some games for now.

There is one BIG glitch in every commander's AI:

No AI is able to defend the base. The main army is never coming back to defend the base. This is very problematic in games with more than 2 players where the main army of player 1 is attacking player 2 and player 3 can easily destroy the base of player 1.

Anonymous
    85.177.231.xxx
  • -Cybah
    What you mentioned was not applicable to Protoss. :D The Protoss could spawn a team of army instantly at there base... Oops, I've met this at their exp base - At least 5~10 Zealots and Stalkers ran to my guerilla at once when my sudden strike began.

Anonymous
    180.94.134.xxx
  • spawned little new army != existing main army.

Anonymous
    92.224.104.xxx
  • True, but this is a very common occurance even in high league games. Most players would rather swap bases rather than abandon an attack, run back, possibly repel the enemy at the cost of alot of resources and giving the enemy free time to recover. In the long run, you would only be setting yourself back, wasting time and having to recover from your own losses while inflicting close to none on the enemy.

Lieutenant
  • The zerg AI does seem to be the most buggy and in need of work. I ran an AI vs AI test game, and I noticed some cool features coded into it (such as the extractor cancel to get over the supply limit), but it does have issues too.

Particularly, it likes to FE even when its not the best option. After its initial FE was destroyed, it kept sending a queen and a few units to the expo spot until the expansion could be rebuilt.

Another issue is its creep tumor spam. For whatever reason, it makes a ton of closely placed creep tumors in and around its base.

And...regarding the main army not coming back to defend, thats not exactly weird. If the army is already near the enemy base, it may be more beneficial to just take out the enemy base and move to an expansion.

Corporal
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Not telling
    Realm:
    North America

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: